Tuesday, May 30, 2006

How real is real part 2?

Oddly enough, AAR's latest column talks to male authors on writing males.

http://www.likesbooks.com/226.html

It's really interesting, though there are spoilers for Jenny Crusie and Bob Mayer's book. Leigh Greenwood had an interesting comment, "Then there's the problem that romances are written for women, so must authors write what women want to read. I don't mean to imply that they're copping out. They just write how they'd like things to be. It's fiction. They have that right."

That's the point Maureen made in the comments to the last post. It's fantasy, a little escapism, and things don't have to be cutting edge real.

I think each reader has their own comfort level as well when it comes to realism. I think it's a very wide spectrum of preferences.

For me, I like a dose of reality, mixed with a dose of fantasy. I don't mind fart jokes, but I'm not going to enjoy a romance where the guy is a dog.

May the muses have real men
Lany

3 Comments:

Blogger Melany said...

I’m so behind.

Men, I prefer the male who act and sound like males the best. Suzy Brockmann always comes to mind. I prefer alphas as heroes. Better yet, make him a tortured hero and I’ll melt into a puddle.

I’ve been told a male voice is one of my strengths. I think its cause I was blind for so long. Men are simple. What? Why? When? Where? Without any of the extra description women use. And truthfully what was I going to do with all the extras as blind person? *Grin*

Ok, how “real” do I want it? I can handle both reality and fantasy, but I want it to be logical. I don’t want a character to be TSTL. And if they don’t act logically within the story- that’s where they fall. And as far as fart jokes go- I say leave them for the comedians and the “real” men in our lives.

Sex can be as raw as the author likes it for their voice.

Condom? If it “fits’ the story/characters then use them.

I completely agree about mails and e-mail. My dh can be very short, but then he can be very wordy. It just depends on the topic and who’s receiving the mail. But, after so many together for the most part in (e-mails to me) his replies are very short. *Sigh*

Mel

1:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also like a little realism thrown into my romance. Love the alphas!

I haven't come across too much realism in a book yet, but I'm sure it can be done. My fertile imagination is supplying a couple of scenarios that would totally put me off of a book. And they have nothing to do with sex.

Men and women do describe things differently and I have to keep reminding myself of this.

I agree with Mel about TSTL characters. They're one of my pet peeves.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Melany said...

Side note: I think realism had better be in straight contemporaries and historical romances. Pattie Steele-Perkins (at a workshop I attended) stated that agents and editors will toss a MS if you’re writing lacks the necessary realism, esp. logic should be brought into play.

Other genres where an author is free to world build and create their own rules- reality should be used to balance it out. But in straight contemporaries and historical romances all there is realism. Even in a historical you’d better do your homework or a reader will call you on it.

Nice topic, Lany!

Mel

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home