Thursday, April 20, 2006

What the frill?

Karen S talks about characters cursing in books. http://karenscottworld.blogspot.com/2006/04/whats-effing-wrong-with-swearing-in.html

She has (and readers in comments) have a lot of good points. I wouldn't want a character who swore just to do it. But I wouldn't expect a military man to say, "Darn. Gosh, I'm fretted," either.

In real life, I don't curse all that much, but do every so often. Curse words don't offend me though. I worked at a construction firm for several years so heard most of them multiple times. One man I worked with, it was just natural to him to curse. He didn't even think about it. LOL they'd had one secretary leave over his language.

In my own writing, I try and let my characters run amuck. They are happier that way, they usually pretty much tell me how they are going to be. And yes, some do swear. One a lot. Most others normally. But some don't either. One villain I wrote (for the other pseudonym, in Conduit, if you want to know) refused to swear. LOL I questioned her on it, but she was adament.

I truly think if its the character's voice to swear, then it shows, and I don't understand why people get up in arms about it.

May the muses have curse words
Lany

5 Comments:

Blogger Melany said...

Too, fumy.

Many people curse in real life. My dh does.

For example.

Nick’s car insurance bill arrived for the first time. He said only one word when he read the amount. F***!

Nick’s twin recently had her wisdom teeth removed, maxing her dental insurance out and leaving us to pay a nice chunk. The dh said only one word when the bill arrived. F***!

Lol… the dh doesn’t like bills.

I agree let the character lead. Goodness, if I used my swear word BLASTED for all my characters… can you imagine Torc saying, blast me?

*Grin*

Nice entry, Lany!

Mel

9:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree completely. Let the characters lead. If I was reading a book where the military man/construction guy didn't swear at least in certain situations, it would probably pull me right out of the book.

Great entry!

Rebecca

1:00 AM  
Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Terrific post.

May the muses BE HONEST - lol.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmaybe thats why i like to write ethnic males *g* then they can curse in their "Native tongue" and it sounds almost poetic. *blink* i mean Merde does have a nicer ring to it than Sh**. i agree swears should be acceptable as part of the characters personality.there's a time and place for everything and as long as the word fits the situation then use it.
i have a hard time swearing, alot of times i have them curse under their breath. mutter a word she couldn't make out but knew it wasn't pleasant. LOL might have to do with my hate of writing dialogue but just as i broke free with my anatomy words *g* i am sure my verbal expression will develop in new avenues too.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Melany said...

*ahem* Torc saying blasted....LOL no, I really can't picture that.

Thanks Rebecca and Lyn. LOL may the muses be honest.

Maureen, they're still swearing *G* even if it's in another language. I do like the sound of some swears words in other languages. *cough* especially a certain Cajun's. Your characters will take you to where you need to be. I had trouble with those anatomy words once upon a time *blinks*. Look at me now.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home