Friday, February 10, 2006

Erotic romance debates

Have been going on for a while now and still are. The latest blog entry by Alison Kent: http://www.alisonkent.com/blog

It amazes me that people will dismiss a whole genre either based on what they like or don't like or based on "bad writing."

Are there things I don't like to read? Sure there are. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of some forms of science fiction. But I'd never poo poo the genre just because I'm not a fan. It may not be my fun read but there are people who love it. I don't expect everyone to love vampires, paranormals, or erotic romance. Different tastes for different folks.

All literary genres have badly written examples that one can pull out and say, "See, it's all crap."

What really got my goat on the forum that Alison Kent posted the link to, was the poster who worried about readers who enjoy erotica/erotic romance and writers who write it.

I'm rather proud to stand up and say, "Yeah, I read erotic romance, and I enjoy it." Do I enjoy every book I read? Heck no. But there are ones I do enjoy, that are well written. Robin Schone (ooooh yeah), Sahara Kelly & SL Carpenter, and others.

And I'm extremely proud to stand up and say, "I write erotic romance." We have our first novel coming out from Ellora's Cave. I'm proud of that, of the work we did putting it together. And the fun we had writing it.

May the muses have debates
Lany

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You're absolutely right that what type of book a person enjoys is entirely subjective. What I don't like, I don't read. There are way too many books published and being published for me to make broad statements about any genre.

My eyes rounded when I read that post. Offended--yes, I was as both a reader and a writer.

I'm an avid reader and most of what I read is erotic romance. I expect to find a few books I don't like. That's just the way it is. When I do, I get on with my life and move to the next book.

Getting published isn't easy and I'm proud that my work will be published with Ellora's Cave.

Rebecca

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home