Friday, September 29, 2006

This week is banned books week

(Lauren Dane has been posting on this subject all week at her blog.)

I'm a little late to the party on this, but it's something I feel rather strongly about.

My Mom never really censored what I read. My first brush with a banned book was in high school when they took "Salem's Lot" off the shelf at the school library. I'd read it a few years before (even did a free choice English book report on it). It still amazes me how many books are challenged, especially ones that continually make the best books' list.

So go out and read a banned book or author!

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedbooksweek/bannedbooksweek.htm

The top 10 Most Challenged Authors in the last decade:

1. Alvin Schwartz (Scary Stories)

2. Judy Blume (Blubber, Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret, Deenie, Forever)

3. Robert Cormier (Whale Talk, The Sledding Hill)

4. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)

5. Michael Willhoite (Daddy’s Roomate)

6. Katherine Paterson (Bridge to Terabithia)

7. Stephen King (Cujo, It, The Stand, Salem’s Lot, The Dark Tower Series, The Green Mile)

8. Maya Angelou (I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, And Still I Rise)

9. R.L. Stine (Goosebumps)

10. John Steinbeck (The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men)


May the muses read banned books
Lany

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home