Saturday, August 19, 2006

When did I first start writing (Lany)?

Anya tagged us! Both of us.


The short answer is when I could first write words.


I have poetry and stories I wrote back in elementary school. I was always playing pretending with imaginary friends and stuffed animals. I think that playing, was about expressing stories when I couldn't write them nearly as well as I could play them.

I played with writing for a long time, especially in college. I wrote in a couple of different genres.

About four years ago, over a long weekend, I rediscovered reading romances. I'd stopped for period of time. I said, "I can do that." Came home and revamped a vampire story. I also wrote a romance novel in about six weeks, which includes every writing mistake known to man LOL. I'm going to retool it one day.

But that's also when I got serious about my craft and starting learning how to do that thing called writing.

As for Mel and I writing together, we wrote together on a roleplay fanfiction loop. It worked out so well, we took it offloop.

May the muses have tags from friends
Lany

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was writing stories in junior high. I had stacks of ring binders and folders of loose paper. At the time, my focus was more on sci-fi or horror than romance, but it always had a little in it.

I didn't start thinking about writing seriously until college. Like you, I had all the writing mistakes in my first finished manuscript. I pity the poor editor who tried to make it through those chapters.

What kept me going through the rejections was the desire to share my stories with other people.

3:30 AM  
Blogger Melany said...

When did I first start writing (Mel)

I’ve always known I loved to listen, to read stories. I can clearly remember my grandma making up magical stories for me when I was young. She was such a great storyteller.

As I grew, Grandma was forever telling me I could be anything I wanted. Do anything I wanted.

Well, I was completely blind until I was twenty-two. Most of the things I wanted to do I was told, I couldn’t. Police officer. Fire fighter. A spy. Astronaut. Mercy, how I wanted to explore the heavens. And now I’m exploring, living every career I ever wanted too!

I started college while I was blind, but when I gained sight I had to learn to “look”. No easy task. Took years to adjust then I had to work hard to keep my sight.

I continued my education. Explored all the fields I was interested in. Creative writing kept sucking me in. Professors and teachers one after another would tell me…I had a good voice and a great imagination. I should try writing.

I thought they’re all just being nice. But the idea had been firmly planted. Why couldn’t I write I asked myself? I loved it. The characters were there whispering their tales. Had been in my mind for as long as I could recall. I had spent my whole life spinning “what if’s” in my mind. Giving books and movies new endings. This is when I knew I wanted to be a storyteller.

I started off writing children’s stories and quickly moved on to romance. I also cut my teeth on fan fiction. In fan fiction I not only explored characterization, I made some fantastic friends! A very special person named Lo encouraged me to explore with my muse off loop. And here I am!

Also, I shall always remember Ann Peach telling me I could write and tell a good story, now all I had to do was master the craft of storytelling. I’m still learning.
But it was 9/11 that taught me to follow my dream. We only have today there are no promises made we can reach for what is in our hearts and minds tomorrow. 9/11 is when I started seriously writing.

I love my career and I’m so glad my dh and friends supported me in getting here.

I’m tagging the squirewriters!
Yes, Mari (Mo) that means you!

Mel

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home