Monday, July 31, 2006

A little romance with the sex?

http://helenkaydimon.com/blog/2006/07/rwa-the-middle/


"In the never-ending Aphrodisia v. Brava debate, the editors say: Aphrodisia is about sex and Brava is about romance. Hillary Sares (the main Aphrodisia editor) says the term “erotic romance” with the imprint is a misnomer. The books are not really romance and don’t have to be. Use of the title is for marketing - Kensington wants the books in the romance section and wants to reach romance readers. That’s it. And, the only legal on the sex is that it be legal."

I've seen this being debated on a few other blogs. I haven't read but one book in the Aphrodisia line so can't really comment. Others have said they have and don't see where they are that different from Brava.

I still agree with Angela Knight on anything being marketed with erotic romance having a HEA. I won't back down on that. And I do think the nonrequirement of them is going to backfire from what I've seen because readers seem to want the HEA when they are reading romance.

For me, the HEA means the couple (or group) is together. They may not necessarily be married or have kids, but they are together. I know HEA means different things to different people.

May the muses have romance
Lany

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know i am with you in the HEA needed in a romance book.

Overcoming conflict at the end of their journey and being together.
In fact, their inability to distinguish the genre is one of the reasons I am hesitant to pick up and read erotica. I don't know what I am getting.

If there's no HEA it leaves you feeling flat, Kinda like a one night stand it might have been fun but leaves you wishing for something more. Its kind of nice knowing I'm not in the minority there. For awhile I was scared.

4:24 PM  
Blogger FD said...

I have also read one Aphrodisia book, and while it didn't suck, there was no HEA. It was a bit of a bummer. But on the other hand, I knew it was a possibility, so it wasn't a total surprise.

Would I read another? Maybe, because I love to read, but I'm not rushing to buy.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Pamela Tyner said...

I totally agree about the HEA. I like HOT, but I want a little romance too. And I think MANY other readers feel the same way.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home