Thursday, October 04, 2007

Thursday Thirteen


Thirteen Challenged books I’ve read by Lany



1. The Harry Potter series. I’ve read them all. It still amazes me that people are trying to have them removed from libraries. Kids and adults love to read them and hey, reading is great.

2. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle I can’t believe this book is on the list! This book is one my favorites from childhood and I credit it with being a very early influence on my writing. I cannot wait until my girls show interest in reading it. I own my very own copy.

3. The Bluest Eye, Song of Solomon & Beloved by Toni Morrison I read a lot of Toni Morrison in college. I remember her books at being poetic and wonderful, especially Beloved.

4. My Brother Sam is dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier I am very puzzled as to why this book. LOL to show you what a GEEK I am, I went on a field trip to Williamsburg, I think it was, and came back with this as a souvenir.

5 Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson I am not a big fan of this one, just read it actually. But the oldest kidlet really enjoyed it.

6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck Not a Steinbeck fan but we had to read this in Honors English. Rather sad tragedy bound friendship.

7. In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak this is a picture book. *blinks* I read it to the oldest kidlet a few years ago. The author also wrote “Where the Wild things are.”

8. anything by Judy Blume. Deenie, Are you there God it’s me, Margaret? Blubber, Tiger Eyes I was a huge Judy Blume fan. And I think she’s indispensable reading for kids growing up.

9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. This is the great American novel! I know many people cite it as their all time favorite.

10. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. This just blows me away. I still have the first copy I ever received. I reread this so many times, it’s falling apart. Cried at the end, too.

11. Anything by Stephen King. Cujo, Carrie, The Dead Zone. I am a Stephen King fan! And I read these three in middle school and early high school.

12. Lord of the Flies by William Golding I had to read this in 10th grade Honors English I think it was. Didn’t much like the book, but it’s quite the parable.

13. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. Sad sad sad book.

Bonuses: Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan. Sort of a pubescent horror author. I remember this book in particular.

A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck, I read this in elementary school.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker Read this in high school. What a moving story.

All of these books are from the list of the most challenged books of 1990-2000. People are trying to ensure…no one reads these books from a library.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home